Put on the New Self Created to be Like God

(I had so many great pictures this morning!  I wanted to share this one, because my Bible study set up was amazing this morning. I had a beautiful view and a wonderful study partner)

God spoke to me very clearly during yesterday's message at Church. Our pastor, Kenton, really helped me to understand what it might look like to surrender to God when taking off the old and putting on the new.

"Put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires, to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:22-24)

This morning's study was about realizing and believing God's power in me. I can truly do all things through Christ who gives me strength. If I let God, then He will do amazing, transformative things in me. The more I hold on to the old - anger, bitterness, resentment, keeping record of wrongs, defending myself when given criticism, self-pity, self-loathing, dwelling on past mistakes, dwelling on future worries - the less I will be transformed through God's power.

"Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God." (Romans 8:12-14)

I have got to allow God to do His good works in me. I did not understand how to do that until yesterday, when I got a glimpse of how I can join God in the works He is doing. Before I heard this message I kept praying and asking God to work in me and help me to approach situations the way He wants me to, but in the heat of the moment I kept failing. I do not let God, I take control. I react in anger, defend myself, or lock up my feelings inside and self-loathe or partake in self-pity.

"So I say walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. The flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh." (Galatians 5:16-17)

I thought that since I was asking God to help me respond the way He wants me to, that it would be easier. What I did not understand is that it is going to HURT when I let go of my fleshly desires and passions and just let God be my defense. It will be better, because I am allowing God to take control of the situation, but it will hurt my ego, my heart,and my feelings because my flesh desires what is contrary to the Holy Spirit. When I let go and allow God to take control, He is peeling away my old self layer by layer. I have a lot of layers to go through, but it will be so worth it in the end.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:24-25)

To God's glory, I will put on the new and the fruit of the Spirit will begin to show up when all of the old things are pruned away. I need to be aware that holding my tongue will be very difficult and I will feel so hurt, defensive, shamed, etc., but God will take care of those feelings the way He knows is best. I know He doesn't want them to be dealt with in anger. God is a good defense attorney, He's got my back. I need only to focus on myself, not trying to mend or correct other peoples' perceptions of me. The Lord will help me to respond in love when necessary, I just need to stick with Him and allow Him to lead me down the narrow path that leads to righteousness and holiness.

Comments

Popular Posts