Speak Lord, Your Servant is Listening

When I grew up I heard all of these stories of how Adam, Moses, Abraham, and Elijah (there are probably others I am missing or do not know about) all got to talk to God. I'm not talking like talking to themselves and waiting to understand the scripture's nudge, but they would seriously have conversations with God.

For example, God talked to Moses through the burning bush (Exodus 3:1-6). Moses even had a special tent called the Tent of Meeting where God would come and speak to him face to face (Exodus 33:9-11).

Then the disciples rolled around and those lucky ducks got to hang out with God as Jesus for three years!

Now, here I am, and I am craving those same interactions! A few years ago, I thought that was the only way God speaks to us, through this loud, booming voice.

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave." (1 Kings 19:11-13)

As you can see, God's voice doesn't come in the chaos of life and in some dramatic moment that is only reserved for Hollywood. He speaks to us gently and in a still, small voice. We need to be quiet enough to listen for it.

When I went through Rooted at my church, I learned that God speaks to us in a variety of ways; in prayer, through scripture, through others, through dreams and visions, and sometimes it can be that audible voice. I have definitely experienced hearing God's voice, but it has been through scripture, prayer, and through other people.

Some things that give me comfort is going to the Bible and seeing where God has spoken to people, then looking at their reaction to His voice.

  • When faced with the Commander of the Army of the Lord, Joshua feel to his knees facedown in reverence for the Lord. (Joshua 5:14). Joshua wanted to know what the Lord wanted Joshua to do and he was so excited at the opportunity to serve His kingdom. 
  • Elijah stepped to the edge of the cave to listen to the Lord's instructions for him (1 Kings 19:13)
  • When Samuel heard the Lord's voice, he eagerly said, "speak, for your servant is listening." (1 Samuel 3:10)
  • The Lord spoke to David about his adulteress act with Bathsheba and the murder he brought on the her husband through the prophet, Nathan. David took responsibility and opened up about his sins against the Lord for the first time since it happened. He was given freedom from that secret he was keeping (2 Samuel 12).
  • When an angel of the Lord came to Mary to tell her she was going to have a virgin birth, she responded with, "How will this be?... I am the Lord's servant, may your word to me be fulfilled" (Luke 1:34,38).
These are just a few of many examples in the Bible of God speaking to His people and their willing responses. These are examples I like to think of and strive toward. These people responded in obedience to the Lord's word, and I want to do just the same.

How do we know if it is the Lord and not just our selfish desires playing over and over again in our minds? The only way we can truly know God is speaking to us is through getting to know Him through His word and prayer. Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me." (John 10:27). If we know the Lord's character, then we will be able to discern His voice more clearly. We need to pray for discernment, wisdom, and clarity to tune in to our Father in Heaven.

How about you? Where do you hear God's voice the most? How do discern His voice over your own?



Comments

  1. I am moved by music and often I get my answers from the Lord in songs. For example when I feared my first pregnancy had been a miscarriage I cried and prayed, and on the radio, the first and only time I have ever heard the song, " my God is big enough" those words seem to swim around my heart and car and I clung to them and believed and God wanted me to know he is big enough that day. I also recently have been convicted deeply by Plum's song, " Lord I'm Ready Now" it is now my heart song and cry to the Lord as I know He is near and I am ready to let go and experience Him fully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am moved by music and often I get my answers from the Lord in songs. For example when I feared my first pregnancy had been a miscarriage I cried and prayed, and on the radio, the first and only time I have ever heard the song, " my God is big enough" those words seem to swim around my heart and car and I clung to them and believed and God wanted me to know he is big enough that day. I also recently have been convicted deeply by Plum's song, " Lord I'm Ready Now" it is now my heart song and cry to the Lord as I know He is near and I am ready to let go and experience Him fully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts