Keep My Commands in Your Heart

I know this is coming over 24 hours late, but I did my journaling yesterday so this is actually coming from the heart from yesterday. Waking up early has been a little bit of a challenge the last few days, so I have not had the excess time to write in my blog after I spend my time with the Lord. With waking up early, I also need to do a better job of going to sleep early. That's my mission this week!

I asked God to speak to me when I opened the Bible this morning (that is yesterday) and he led me to Proverbs 3. I have been thinking about the armor of God and how I can start practicing using the weapons the Lord so graciously provides and my coach (God) helped me learn from this reading, what I should do first. First, I am going to let you know which scriptures from Proverbs 3 really struck home.

"Do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart." (Proverbs 3:1)

Going back to the armor of God, I feel that part of it is to memorize scripture! In order to get an overview, to know God's heart and character, to be able to shield us from the enemy, we must memorize scripture. God is continuing to tell me this through the scripture He led me to.

"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart." (Proverbs 3:3). 

Again, memorize! If we memorize scripture, in tough situations our love and faithfulness will come out rather than anger, impatience, etc.

"Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." (Proverbs 3:4)

This makes God happy when we live this way. We also allow others to see what a Christ follower truly looks like. This may raise questions from some that could bring them to the Lord eventually. It also allows other believers and new Christians, understand what it looks like to be a devoted, faithful follower of Christ. 

There is so much scripture that is applicable to every situation. I just recently learned of the Nave's Topical Bible. There is an app for only $0.99! I am totally going to buy it so I can apply scripture to my every thought. This can help me with my game plan I am going to share with you.

I have done two Beth Moore studies now and she really encourages note cards. I always write them, but for whatever reason, do not put good use to them. God keeps putting it on my heart though, to make my own note cards based on the scripture that He leads me to. 

I plan to listen for God's voice as I search through the Bible and I believe He will tell me to stop and look at a certain scripture. I will write the verse on the card and where it is, then on the back, I will put the topic or promise it address (e.g. fear, courage, power of prayer, hearing God's voice, etc.). I'll start my own, personal topical Bible! I plan to use my Nave's app to help me create these cards too! This way I can go to the card that I need in that moment. This is my game plan # 1 for practicing using my armor of God.

I know I get into some pretty emotional and/or irrational states (via fear or anger usually) and these cards will help me to memorize scripture so I can write it on my heart and keep the Lord's commands in time for battle. 

Will you create cards? Do you have a system in place that works for you? Please share!

Comments

Popular Posts