How Can They Hear Without Someone Preaching to Them?

This morning, we were to read Romans 10:9-14 in our Prayer Circle book and I took away something completely different than what she was going for, but God was speaking to me, so this is what I journaled about this morning.

"And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? How can they hear without someone preaching to them?" (Romans 10:14)

God uses rebuke to help us grow. I am the type of person who is so afraid to hurt someone's feelings so I keep my thoughts inside. I am not loving people when I do not call them out on their wrongful doing, or disagree with something. 

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline." (Revelation 3:19). 

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one He loves. (Hebrews 12:5-6).

I need to remember that God speaks through us to others, so I need to be obedient to his gentle whisper when He suggests I speak up about something. The enemy tells me that I do not have all the answers, so I have no place telling this person something or that I am a hypocrite if I speak up against something I have already done or continue to struggle with myself. These are lies that Satan wants me to believe.

"And God said, 'I will be with you'." (Exodus 3:11) Truth is, I don't have all the answers, but if God wants to say something to someone through me, then He will give me the answers in that moment! And if I am going through something or have been through something before, that makes me more of an expert than someone who has not experienced it at all! God uses our struggles to bring us together in community and to help others that struggle with the same things. 

Jesus spoke the truth in love and He is the example that I want to live after. "Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently... Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:1-2). If I get to know God better through His words and continued prayer, then I will be more equipped to approach my friends and loved ones in love when I disagree with their actions.

The best thing that any friend could have ever done for me was to call me out on the lifestyle I was living only a few years ago. I thought I was a Christian and I had even been through Rooted (basically Christ Following 101) yet I was still making such poor life choices. The Holy Spirit had not taken up permanent residence in my heart just yet. God spoke to me though one of my friends that was actually in my Rooted group. She was very loving in her approach, I felt absolutely no judgement, and it really woke me up! I began to turn my life around and work toward making better choices. I am definitely not perfect, but nobody is, but the difference is, the Holy Spirit is alive and within me and He speaks to me and convicts me. I love Jesus so much for what He did! I am so thankful we all have the opportunity to allow Him in our hearts! I hope you have let Him in permanently. He's not a house guest in your heart, He is the owner. You are actually the guest (1 Corinthians 6:19).

Do you have a tendency to hold back in order to avoid hurting someone's feelings? Think about my story next time, maybe it will inspire you to leave your comfort zone in order to make a difference in someone's life. I'm sure there are countless stories of how God has used other people to rebuke His children. You may be a part of one of those stories, if not, join the story!

Comments

Popular Posts