Not my will, but God's will

(It is still dark outside when it is time to read and do my devotionals, so I am staying inside, here is my setup, my sweet puppy in the background)

These early mornings are getting a bit tough. It's probably like a diet, once you get in a few days you're hungry all the time and feel like you're not going to make it, but if you stick through it for those few days it gets easier. This time with God has been such a blessing for the last few days, I do not want to sacrifice this time for anything, even my precious sleep!

I saw War Room last night in the movie theater. It was fantastic, so uplifting, so encouraging, so thought-provoking! I encourage you to see it if you haven't already.The wife really seemed to learn the art of submitting to God. I have a hard time with that, I think that I need to defend myself, not allow others to walk all over me, or stand up for what I believe in. All that strategy has left me is more frustration and making others feel disrespected. I too would like to explore and understand what submitting looks like in my life in a healthy way and apply that to my relationships.

Proverbs 3:6 says "in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." The song Let it Go from Frozen comes to mind. I sing that to myself a lot! I want to be in control of everything and I even need to tell cars that are driving crazy that aren't even affecting me and my driving that they shouldn't be driving that way. Then when I get all worked up about it I start singing Let it Go. Maybe I could use the same melody, but insert "Submit, submit to Him, He will make my paths straight always". I need to remember that if I just let it go and submit my cares to Him, He is going to take care of it. The only thing I can do is pray, submit to Him, and he will take care of it the way it is supposed to play out. God will not leave anything undone.

Jesus demonstrates this type of submission to God in the Garden of Gethsemane before He was about to be beaten and crucified.  He knew all this was going to happen and had the power to stop it, but instead of taking control, He prayed to God. He prayed so hard and asked God "may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39) He wanted there to be another way, but in the end He wanted God's will because He knew that was best. Jesus said "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Mark 14:38). We want to submit and we want God's will to be done, but our flesh and earthly bodies are going to resist that if it compromises our pride, our comfort, or our plan. Fight the flesh with prayer, God will take care of it, He is a just God.

Does anyone have any stories they would like to share of submitting and how God came through? Or any struggles you have with submitting?

Comments

  1. Submitting is really hard. I have been working on submission, especially in my marriage for most of our 38 years of married life. I don't know why it's so hard to let go but I do know as I do submit & let things go life really does work much better. I've read Christian books on this , done bible studies, & those things help but the verses from God's word are the most powerful tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, my life the past five years has been a battle with God to just "let it go" its going well, not because of me but because God always wins;) nice work, good reminders...morning is fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, my life the past five years has been a battle with God to just "let it go" its going well, not because of me but because God always wins;) nice work, good reminders...morning is fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past year with selling the House has been a constant battle for me as I try to control the circumstances, but always lose. There is only so much I can do so I need to remember to let go and Allow God to take control. I struggle with it everyday though! It's hard to not worry about what will be, but I need to remember God's will Is the way and I need to wait patiently to find out his plans for us and in the meantime I will "submit. Submit to God!"
    I love the song you came up with...very helpful! 😀

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts