The power of a story


(Image URL: https://images.penguinrandomhouse.com/cover/9780375989452)

One of my favorite books growing up was "The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room". I could relate to it so much. I was a mess, actually I still am. I shared a room with my sister who liked a tidy space. Even if I tried, tidy was neither in my vocabulary nor in my skill set. This book though, I saw the end-result of their clean and organized room and it gave me hope. One day I too might have an organized room and be able to play in harmony with my sister. So many years later, I still think of that book and the lesson it taught me about being more organized. I even read it to my 8th graders to remind them that being neat and organized is the way to getting more done and having more fun!

Stories are an avenue that we can take to find peace or hope in a situation. Each time you see a movie, read a book, a short story or a hear a personal testimony, there is always some kind of lesson embedded into it. In the case of the Berenstain Bears it is that a messy room is inefficient and can cause conflict. In the case of Scripture, there are thousands of lessons to be unlocked. When we read stories from beginning to end we are able to get a glimpse of the hardships faced during the journey, but most importantly we see that they made it through.

If it is written, then it is God-breathed. Whatever made it to the final publishing of the Bible is what God intended to be used for His teaching (2 Timothy 3:16).  "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us so that through the endurance taught in the scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope" (Romans 15:4). This goes back to the true author of the book of life, God. He knows the past, present and future. He knows that whatever is written and in the Bible today can be used to help us: the people, the stories, they were handpicked by God. He knew how the world was then and how it was going to be today; therefore, the stories in the Bible are relatable to anyone in any season.

I can't even describe the feelings of relief associated with reading King David's story. He started out as a lowly shepherd deemed unworthy by his family yet chosen by God Himself to be king (1 Samuel 16:1-13)! He made so many mistakes, but he poured his heart out to God in his journals (the Psalms). You get to know the person beneath the royalty. Just like me he is impulsive and driven by flesh, yet he is remembered as a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 16:22). Through Scripture, I've gotten to know the ups and downs of his life. You see the earthly consequences of his sin, you see the spiritual barrier his actions and his lies put up. You learn of the physical symptoms that come from the separation he created from God. I also know exactly where he is... Heaven. Even though David had days in which he did not think he was going to make it out alive, the Lord continued to bless him as well as discipline him throughout his days. It is evident that God loved him and He was working by his side his entire life. David's story, his successes, his failures and his psalms, have encouraged me through many dark days. It's given me a light to look forward to at the end of a dark tunnel.

Jonah outright disobeyed God. He didn't want to do what God asked him so he made his own path. It didn't work out so well for him, God won... of course. Jonah willingly got thrown overboard to calm the storm thus saving the crew's life but thinking his was over. God was there though. He had a plan to protect him. Jonah gave literally everything and God said, "I'm not done with you yet... Let's sit in timeout and in protection until you can get your act together." (Jonah 1 and 2). How many times have I messed up and chosen to disobey God despite clear communication from Him? A zillion, but He also has always been there to catch my fall as He did for Jonah.

How about God, Himself, coming to Earth? Interacting with and freely giving out forgiveness to outcasts like it was fruit samples at a Farmer's Market? Jesus did this for the woman at the well (John 4:1-26). I've been her before. Outcast by my community and needing someone to take my hand in acceptance. He showed that it was possible through Scripture.

Seeing the beginning, middle and end of their stories coupled with God's handiwork in their life gives us hope that He really does have a plan and it will work out. For some it is not in this lifetime, which is so difficult to understand, but we have got to remember that our "momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:17-18).

This life is fleeting and it is ok if we don't get what we have always dreamed of because where you are going is so much better than the riches and fullness of this life. So in light of what we learn from scripture we can keep in mind the end goal. We can press on toward the Heavenly prize as long as we fix our eyes on God's teaching (Philippians 3:14). It is intended to encourage us to keep going despite what we think we can do or handle. It is meant to give us hope for the future and what greatness is to come after this life (greatness meaning no more tears, pain, death or sorrow (Revelation 21:3-4).

Likewise, what we go through in our book of life can give people the encouragement and hope they need to keep going. The Bible tells us that our sufferings and the comfort we received from God at that time should be used to comfort those going through troubles later, so they too can receive God's comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-7). There is not much worse than feeling isolated in your suffering and unable to identify with others. That is why it is so important to "encourage one another and build each other up" (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

When Harrison passed away, I could not imagine surviving one more moment, but people who have lost spouses and children came to my aide. They called me and told me their story. Things I might expect to happen. Listened to me as I cried. They offered no advice, only the love they had for me. Something terrible happened in their life but God used their struggles to encourage me in the worst time of mine.

Our struggles, though never the exact same, can encourage someone to the point of finding hope again. It is our duty as ambassadors of Christ. We need to show Christ's love. He doesn't want us to gloat or think we survived because of ourselves, because that is certainly not why we did or even came out better on the other side. He wants us to acknowledge Him, that we couldn't have done it on our own (2 Corinthians 1:9). So next time you face troubles, don't forget to turn to Him, give your burdens to Him. You will remember He pulled you through last time and He'll do it again. That hope is what will keep you going.

Remember when you are going through something, there is Scripture you can turn to and others who have experienced similar struggles and you will find encouragement in both. God will bring them to you, you must accept His gifts and trust that He will take care of you. After all, He is your Father.

Comments

Popular Posts