Today has enough trouble of its own

I was hiking the other day on a picturesque trail in Laguna Beach. Albeit difficult, the strenuous work pays off with expansive 180 degree views of the Pacific Ocean, the preserved green area and beautiful unique homes of Laguna Beach. I was jogging on a trail that has many ups and downs and I found myself fixated on what was coming up next. I kept looking ahead to the uphills and telling myself that I was going to have to walk that one or, "no way, my legs are too tired for that" or "I just have to make it to that bush and then walk it". I was so focused on the hard part of the jog that I was missing the beauty surrounding me and the ease of the flat stretches. Finally, I felt a small whisper that reminded me to not focus on what lies ahead or behind, but to enjoy the steps that I was taking in that very moment, that we would cross that "bridge" once we got there. One step after another, just focusing on the present, allowed me to jog the entire way, hills and all! I even got to soak in the views on the easier parts.

Matthew 6:34 says "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

As a sufferer of panic attacks and anxiety, my mom always reminded me of this verse by saying "Don't borrow trouble." I tend to envision everything that could go wrong or the obstacles I may face along the way. This carries over into so many areas of my life, even a workout! God will take care of tomorrow, but we need to trust Him to do that by living in His will to our fullest in this present moment! I love how God gives us His wisdom in pictures that are so applicable to our lives!

What do you do to keep your worries out of tomorrow?

Comments

Popular Posts